The Lonely Crow/
Experimental Illustrations

 'The Lonely Crow' illustrations, 2015.
Shannon Woodfield.

Brief:
During my foundation year, we were given a brief to explore 'Layers and Edges'. We could explore different materials, techniques and subject matters within this and have 2D outcomes to present within two weeks. 

Concept:
I wanted to create page spread illustrations for a mock-up of a storybook for older children. I loved dark and creepy themes when I was a child so I used these as inspiration for creating more individual and exciting illustrations for children with the same interests. 

Solution:
I put a lot of research into facts and information from real life that I could incorporate into my story. I watched a lot of documentaries and read books and articles about crows; I was really interested in how they recognise human faces, and once they see a face they recognise from days, weeks, months before, they call out. I created a story about a young girl who loses her parents and finds herself lost in the woods, the crow 'caws' when he see's her and helps her find her way home. 

I explored layers and edges through both traditional and digital illustration work. I made monoprints, paper-cuts, ink drawings using both Indian inks and ball-point pens, and ink washes to create separate elements of the illustrations; I then used Photoshop to manipulate and layer the pieces together to form these final illustrations.


SHANNON WOODFIELD.

No comments:

Post a Comment